In supported U.S. states, Casa customers can purchase bitcoin (BTC) from their linked checking account.
Linking your bank's checking account to your Casa App facilitates BTC purchases using ACH transfers.
Purchasing BTC using a linked bank account is currently only available in select states within the United States.
Within the U.S., we currently do not support linked bank account (ACH) buys in:
- New York
- New Hampshire
See Supported regions for buying bitcoin for more information on regional restrictions.
Using a linked bank account, depending on eligibility, you can purchase up to:
$25,000 per week / per order
$50,000 per month
$75,000 per 60 days
$250,000 per year
There are two types of fees associated with every purchase:
- Processing fee - a flat processing fee of 0.99% per order applies, with a $20 minimum order
- Mining fee - because the bitcoin you purchase is sent straight to your Casa wallet, there's also a mining fee. Bitcoin mining fees go directly to individuals and organizations securing the bitcoin network as miners, and vary depending on network activity.
Note that neither of these fees goes to Casa! We're offering this feature free for the safety and convenience of our customers, and are not adding additional fees.
To connect your bank account, you'll first need to complete the onboarding process, which involves verifying your identity and connecting your bank account.
The bank account that you link must be a personal checking account, so you will not be able to link a savings account or a business checking account. If you link a shared bank account, you may be prompted to submit a copy of all pages of a recent account statement to verify your name appears on the account.
The onboarding process takes 3-5 minutes to complete, plus some additional time to verify (this can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few days once all your information is submitted).
The information that you'll be prompted to share during the onboarding process is:
- Full legal name (as it appears on your photo ID)
- Email address
- Mobile phone number (must be a mobile number; VOIP and landline numbers are not accepted)
- Birthdate (as it appears on your photo ID)
- Permanent address (as it appears on your photo ID)
- Social Security number
- Government-issued ID - front and back of driver’s license, passport, passport card, or other government ID
- Proof of address (in some cases; this can be a utility bill or bank statement dated within the last 90 days)
Once you verify your identity, you'll be prompted to link your bank account using your login credentials. You can set up your bank account in multiple ways:
- (New users) The first time you go to buy, you’ll be prompted to use Apple Pay/debit or bank account
- From the "amount entry" screen, tap at top of screen to select "Bank Account" and follow the prompts
- When you’re onboarding, from main chart screen you can tap a button to re-enter
For the bank account linking process, we integrate with Plaid to secure and protect this sensitive information.
How long does a bank account purchase take?
Purchases using a linked bank account in your Casa App are facilitated via ACH transfers.
Due to how the ACH transfer process works in the U.S. using a combination of automated and manual actions, it takes around 3-5 business days for a purchase order using a linked bank account to be delivered.
Since the ACH transfer system on operates on "business days," weekends and holidays, for example, do not count as business days, and may delay your order.
If your order does successfully complete, you will receive the amount of BTC you originally purchased for the amount you were charged, regardless of the BTC price at the time that your order is delivered.
How is information stored?
Casa partners with Wyre for purchase services. You information is collected and stored by Wyre, but is never stored on Casa’s servers, since we have no need for this information.
Wyre retains this data for a minimum of 3 years in accordance with regulations, but this information may be held longer than that.
Can I add or change my bank account?
We don't yet have the ability to add multiple bank accounts to your Casa App simultaneously for the purposes of purchasing BTC, but you can change the bank checking account that's associated with your BTC purchases.
If you would like to change the checking account you have linked to another checking account, you would:
- Tap the "Buy" tab in Casa App (the bitcoin icon)
- Tap the clock / history icon up top.
- Tap the settings icon
- Tap "Replace bank account"
This will prompt you to authorize your new account. Once you add the new bank account, any purchases you make in the future will use the new bank account that you've linked.