Many U.S.-based Casa members choose to use Casa to secure the digital assets associated with their self-directed IRA (individual retirement account) funds.
You can learn more about using Casa for a self-directed IRA here.
For the best customer experience for those who want to use Casa for their IRA funds, Casa partners with Choice, a retirement account service.
While Choice offers the option to store your funds for you (custodial), they also also offer the option to "hold your own keys" by using Casa (self-custodial).
While Choice does partner with Casa, our products are completely separate, and there is no direct account integration.
Do I have to use Choice, specifically, to store my IRA funds?
You are not required to use Choice specifically, but the partnership that we have with them offers the best customer experience while ensuring that you meet the regulatory requirements of a self-directed IRA in the United States.
How do I get started with Casa and Choice?
- Prior to setting up a Casa account, you should register an account with Choice here.
- Once you've registered with Choice (or if you already have an account with Choice), let them know that you're interested in holding your own keys with Casa.
- Choice will formally introduce you to us by email and give you a coupon code to sign up for your Casa account without paying a membership fee directly to us (Choice pays this on your behalf).
- Sign up for a Casa account and make sure to use the coupon code. (If this does not work for some reason, reach out to us at email@example.com with the email address on your account and the code and we can add it for you manually.)
- Set up your keys in the Casa app.
- Contact Choice to request that they send your funds to your Casa wallet
Can Casa store funds other than bitcoin?
While Choice offers the ability to store some alternative cryptocurrencies (altcoins), Casa does not currently offer the ability to store any other cryptocurrencies besides bitcoin through the Choice partnership.
Can I still benefit from Casa's Refer-a-friend program?
If you are a Choice customer, you can still refer friends to Casa! Every friend you refer will still receive an instant discount on their first year of membership. However, because your account is technically through Choice, you will not receive the referral discount on your next Casa renewal. Likewise, if a friend refers you to Casa and you sign up via Choice, you'll still need to pay the full first year membership payment to Choice, since they are the ones who pay for your Casa subscription and manage the fees.
Using Casa with Choice allows you to hold your own keys and gives you peace of mind that your funds will be secure for the years to come.